Translate

Blog Archive

Ads

Tuesday, May 11, 2021

The Dustin Johnson WDs are coming into Byron Nelson

Byron Nelson champion Dustin Johnson has withdrawn from the event.

The Dustin Johnson WDs are coming into Byron Nelson

A knee injury was cited as the reason for World Number One's withdrawal from the Texas event Monday afternoon. "Unfortunately, the knee discomfort I sometimes experience has returned, and after consulting with my team and trainers, I feel it's best for me to remain at home and focus on rehabilitation," Johnson said in a statement. My disappointment is understandable since I was really looking forward to playing in this tournament. I have several friends in Dallas and many of them have become close to me because of their participation in the tournament. I hate to disappoint them. All of them are sincerely apologized to, including the Salesmanship Club of Dallas and our sponsors at AT&T. We're counting on you to come back in the future, but in the meantime, I wish you the best of luck on your upcoming week at TPC Craig Ranch. I am sincerely sorry I can't be there with you."

In Johnson's native South Carolina, the PGA Championship takes place on Kiawah Island on the Ocean Course one week before the Masters. The World No. 1 has not been his historically dominant self since he won the 2020 Masters, finishing only one spot above the cut line over the past six events, including a missed cut at Augusta National in his title defense. 

Even so, Johnson's odds were the second-lowest among the PGA Championship entrants, except for Rory McIlroy, who entered Monday with odds of 12/1. Johnson, 36, is a two-time runner-up at the PGA Championship.

The Nelson field will be occupied by Greg Chalmers in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment